Thursday, November 06, 2008

What Would Hayden Do?

It's never been a secret that Matthew Hayden is a devout Christian. Tracing the shape of the cross on his chest (to celebrate scoring a hundred) made sure of that.

photo copurtesy of deanmccartney.com
He recently told Brisbane News that "When I'm in trouble it's always something to think about. I ask myself What would Christ do in this situation?".

Despite his best efforts, Hayden (like all of us) still doesn't match up to that sort of standard. Does that make him bad? I just think it means that he's not God (no matter how many centuries he scores).

Fortunately, God doesn't require us to be completely perfect. Apparently, that's part of the reason for Jesus - and the cross that Matt Hayden so often illustrates. But it's good to wanna be more like Jesus - the same way many cricketers wanna be more like Matt Hayden.

1 comment:

Renae said...

I love Mattie Hayden. When we sat next to him on a flight to Fiji earlier this year (I HAD to drop that in) I was impressed by how humble he was. He had kids and adults lining up for autographs the whole flight and he took the time to thank each person for their support. He didn't turn ANYone away or make them feel like they were a nuisance. I think that's what Jesus would do too!
Thanks for the reflection Dave!